With the weather and our schedules cooperating, I was thrilled to get out with Rachel and support one of my favorite passions in life, baseball at the 3rd Annual Black Tie and Blue Jeans event for the Ocean State Waves. The event took place at the beautiful and charming The Towers in chilly, but always pleasant Narragansett. Black Tie and Blue Jeans is held every year to recognize local sponsors, friends, and host families that help make the Ocean State Waves baseball team a reality. This year was their best turnout, according to President and GM Matt Finlayson. With a diverse mix of sponsors, players, host families, and locals it was a spirited night with great food, music, and of course, everyone talking baseball. My kind of night!
Here are some of the sponsors that I got to meet and learn more about:
- Sweet Althea’s – 406A Main St., Wakefield, www.sweetathleas.com – delicious desserts, her table was one of the most popular by far. How can someone pack so much JOY into such small square? I’m hooked.
- Eddie’s BBQ – 1014 Boston Neck Rd, Narraganseet, www.eddiesbbqri.com – seasoned pulled pork, savory sweet potoatoes, yum. I could have twenty plates more and not blink an eye. BBQ in South County has a name – Eddie’s
- Chophouse Grille – 191 Old Tower Hill Rd., Wakefield, www.chophousegrilleri.com – the prime rib with au jus was mouth watering and amazing.
- Two Ten Oyster Bar & Grill – 210 Salt Pond Rd, Wakefield, www.twotenobg.com – a RI favorite, they had a beautiful table of oysters for all to enjoy
- Bed and Bistro – 83 Narragansett Ave, walking distance to Narragansett Beach – the Bistro offers small plates, salads, and entrees Thursday through Monday; The Beds include six rooms with all the comforts of home. Email them to learn more – firstname.lastname@example.org
- George’s of Galilee – Sand Hill Cove, Point Judith, www.georgesofgalilee.com – I got a lesson from the chef on sauteing scallops. His turned out far better than any I ever made. They were delicious and I had several, thank you.
- Bartending by Dennis – www.bartendingbydennisinc.com – Friendly staff, great drinks, very attentive.
- Casa Pizza, 855 Point Judith Rd., Narragansett, 401.783.2459 – Amazing calzones, very flavorful. I’ll be down to see you very soon.
- The Impressed Olive, 4 Brown St, Wickford, www.impressedolive.com – They are offering a 15% in store coupon to everyone with the promo code blacktie15. They have a free shipping offer that is ongoing until Spring.
- Elle G Boutique, 330 Main St, Wakefield, www.ellegri.com – Get a 15% coupon on their website for purchases of jewelry and women’s fashion.
I also got to meet Bryant Da Cruz and his wife Karen, who are a host family for the Ocean State Waves players. Players from out of state connect with a host family to live with during the summer season of the Ocean State Waves. Bryant and his wife have been a host family for 3 years now and the experience, according to Bryant, has been fantastic. Host families get a number of benefits including a free family pass to all Waves games, free Waves Summer Camp, and much more. Plus, you will be helping to support a player traveling from out of state who may just wind up playing professional baseball one day. If you would like to learn more about being a host family for an incoming Ocean State Waves player, contact coordinator Melissa Perry at 401-932-2797 or email – email@example.com.
It was a great night for the Ocean State Waves and their family of sponsors, players, management, host families, and the southern RI community. Best of luck in your future endeavors and best of luck this summer. I’ll be seeing you at the ballpark!